Preventing Fire Damage
Here are some helpful tips on preventing fire from damaging your home or business.
Within 30 feet from your home or business
- Clear combustible materials such as dried leaves and pine needles.
- Cut down tree limbs that are 15 feet or closer to the ground. This will help prevent the fire from spreading onto your properties tree line.
- Remove any vines or vegetation that is on the side of your house or business.
- Place any flammable lawn furniture in storage when not in use.
- Opt for non-flammable decor, such as gravel opposed to wood chips.
Within 100 to 30 Feet From Your Home or Business
- Create "fuel breaks" in your property. Hopefully these areas will help stop the spread of a fire. These can be gravel pathways or driveways.
- Cut any tree branches that are 8 feet or closer to the ground.
- Clear combustible vegetation.
Within 200 to 100 Feet From Your Home or Business
- Place any stacked firewood or scrap wood.
- Continue to clear combustible vegetation.
- Plant trees far enough apart so their branches don't touch.